These household chemicals can cause accidental poisoning to your children and pets.
- Glass cleaner
- Air-freshening sprays and other freshening agents
- Carpet shampoo
- Laundry and dishwashing detergent
- Antibacterial kitchen and bathroom cleaners
- Floor wax
- Scouring powder
- Oven cleaner
- Insect traps and bombs
- Chemicals that kill mildew and mold
- Household bleach
- Furniture cleaner
- Drain clearing chemicals
Remember these three safety tips:
- put away personal care products; even perfume, hairspray, and nail polish can be toxic
- keep your everyday household chemicals stored in places that are hard to reach and secured with child safety locks
- put things away as soon as you’re done using them; all it takes is a brief second for you to stop and answer the phone for your child to ingest something poisonous
- Keep the number for poison control handy: 800.222.1222 and call 911 immediately if your child becomes unconscious or has difficulty breathing. If your child gets chemicals in his or her eyes rinse them in a sink or showerimmediately.
With the right precautions you can reduce the risk of your child coming in contact with household cleaning chemicals that pose a risk to your child.